Below are some basic appliances to either stock your kitchen with, or if you are traveling, small enough to put in a suitcase or in a car!
- Personal blender – this is GOLD. I have found some for as cheap as 15 dollars on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Kitchen-Dining-Personal-Size-Blenders/zgbs/kitchen/3117947011). A quick smoothie is a great way to get your servings of fruits and veggies in, and you can make it and take it on the go with you in the same container!
- Cutting board, knife, Tupperware
- Cheap microwaveable plate and bowl, and one/two forks and spoons
- Can opener
- Coffee maker- Okay, I will be honest. I went a little overboard on this one during my traveling and splurged on a Nespresso Vertuo machine. I personally do not like Keurigs, so I did not use the mini-one in my hotel room, but many many people did. My Nespresso absolutely transformed my life and I love it so much, but also it is a big space suck. If you are a coffee drinker, invest in a French Press or something along those lines that are easy to use and make great, strong coffee.
- Mini Waffle Iron- They are as inexpensive as 10 dollars, and VERY portable! My sister swears by them, and she makes omelettes in her kitchen-less dorm room.
- Meat thermometer- I know this may seem extra, but I really did not realize how much I needed a thermometer until I started cooking in a microwave. Everything cooks slightly different in the microwave, and it is nice to know that when I make protein in the microwave that it is 100% cooked. There are cheap ones on the internet (I think mine was maybe 12 dollars?). https://www.amazon.com/s?k=cheap+food%2Fmeat+thermometer&ref=nb_sb_noss
Stocking up your own kitchen (less portable)
- Air Fryer- I cannot emphasize this enough – BUY AN AIR FRYER. Seriously, I have basically stopped using an oven. These babies can do it all. It can bake, broil, fry, and everything in between in the fraction of the time it takes to do in an oven. Things are crispy without using oil – I don’t know how this magic appliance works, but I promise it does. You will not regret the purchase.
- Nespresso – see above
- Milk frother (for Nespresso)
- Food processor – I have been using my blender for a food processor for a very long time, but a true food processor is better!
- Hand-held mixer- works almost as well as a stand mixer, but for a fraction of the price and way smaller
- Instant Pot- It is impressive how well this works. You can cook in this like it is a stove top, or you can make crockpot meals like soup and pulled pork in a shockingly short amount of time. Overall, super versatile and affordable. It is also small enough that if you were very passionate about it, you could pack and bring with you while traveling (especially if you are driving or able to check a bag).